Thursday, August 16, 2007

I may have been dropped on my head as a child

That Ducati 1098 Tri-Colore isn't at the dealer any more. Someone snatched it up on Tuesday.

The problem is that 'someone' was me.

Here's my 12-step program for Ducati ownership:

1. Lose mind.
2. Find a banker who has also lost thier mind.
3. Buy Ducati and race bodywork.
4. Break-in Ducati.
5. Figure out how to paint fiberglass.
6. Service Ducati.
7. Get extra bike protection widgets.
8. Break-in Ducati some more.
9. Paint fiberglass.
10. Install race bodywork and widgets.
11. Go to track.
12. Try to stop giggling.

So far I'm on step 4. (Well, a little bit of step 12 too.) With some luck I'll get comfortable with it and get it to the track this season.

It's a little hard to get a truly accurate picture since I'm limited to < 6000 rpm during the break-in picture. But early indications are that it's scary powerful. It's 100lbs lighter and has 60hp more than the Daytona.

2 comments:

FM said...

I don't understand #5. Paint fiberglass because...you don't like your bike looking like the Italian flag, or because you expect to crash this sucker and need to repaint it?

Can't believe it's been almost a week since we were with you guys in Seattle. Sad.

I need to take lessons from you and An about not feeling guilty about spending money and buying things I like. You both need to help me spend the $500 award I got today for which I must buy something and submit an expense report. I'm having a hard time coming up with any ideas. Maybe I need a 12-step program :P Even finding something I want to buy is hard.

TJ said...

I bought a second body with the bike. The original body (plastic, painted like an Italian flag) is very expensive to repair or replace. The second body (fiberglass, unpainted) is much cheaper and easier to fix. So I'll put it on the bike when I go to the track.