Monday, January 12, 2009

The American Dream

"A chicken in every pot, a car in every garage"? Uh, no. Sorry Herbert, guess again. A single car?! Don't be ridiculous.

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness"? Eh, not bad. How about more feeling.

"Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"? Well, yeah, that's pretty much it.

My American Dream is ... "To be a motorized hobo." (I know, I know, a Reverend-King-quality orator I'll never be.)

To reduce my life to a small bag, toss it on a bike or in a car trunk, and go. Anywhere. Everywhere. Sleep when you're tired, eat when you're hungry. If you're bored move on, if it looks interesting stay a few more days.

12 years ago I took a small trip that might fit that description. 4 weeks and 6600 miles in a TR6 with no real plan to speak of. It's one of the best months of my life.

I'm happy (and more than a little jealous) that my cousin is headed out on a much larger hobo-trip in the Spring. So far his plan seems to be "See people. Go places. Come home when the money runs out."

Sounds like a solid strategy to me.

2 comments:

Ray and Susan said...

Except he'll probably run out of money in, oh, Tacoma.

Anonymous said...

so is he planning on coming to NoDak country? It would be a nice change of pace to have a "grown-up - but not-quite" stop by here - For that matter - you and your mutiple vehilces and people can stop by too! - Robin