Saturday, May 30, 2009

Down On All Fours

It's a beautiful day and I want to go out.

The Suzuki needs a tune-up (again). The Daytonas battery died (not sure why). The Ducati is still dressed for the track.

Luckily I have backup for the backup for the backup. I have toys with four wheels.

After a little time on the battery charger (and a little time under the hose) the Green Machine was declared road-worthy. (Okay, yes dad, you're right. No 30+ year-old car is road-worthy. Particularly one made at a British factory more famous for labor strife than efficiency. But, hey, I work with what I've got. It starts, it turns, it even stops. That equals "road-worthy".)

I decided to try the route I took Monday on the bike. (Minus the mud-pushing.) Ignore the moronic path between F and G. Google Maps is missing some data I guess.


View Larger Map

Every time I ride the Suzuki I'm amazed at how pleasant it is. Much more relaxed, much more like a weekend should be.

The same was true today except an order of magnitude bigger. I was going a robust 32 mph but it sure felt good. Top down, no helmet, no heavy leather jacket, same twisty road. I could even carry a refreshing beverage.

...

I think this four-wheels-with-a-motor thing might just catch on.

3 comments:

FM said...

Ahh...reminds me of the wonderful summers in the NW. I used to drive around those parts, and up to Index and Gold Bar sometimes even. But all I had was a '92 Accord with a small sunroof.

Says a lot that even in a car like that, it's a pleasant journey!

Rathy said...

Four wheels? No helmet? No jacket?


You're getting old, my friend. And not just 'look at TJ with his house payment and his real job' but actually OLD.

TJ said...

Rathy: Go ahead, let it out. Own your feelings. We all know that deep down you wish you were making your trip in a classic British roadster. It's okay to be jealous. Jealousy makes for wants, and wants make for goals. It's good to have goals.

:)