Tuesday, July 29, 2008

No Sessions? No Problem!

A big thumbs up for the NESBA "Skills Enhancement Day" Monday. (Instead of Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced groups each using the track for 20-minute sessions, an SED is made up of a single group and an open track. You enter and exit the track whenever you want.) I was nervous about this approach. I wasn't sure riders would recognize their own fatigue. I don't want to ride with someone trying to squeeze out one continuous 4-hour session.

I was wrong. Riders were more courteous than usual and I believe there were fewer incidents.

Despite a late start, and one long disruption for an oil spill, I was able to find more time than usual. And, more importantly, it was higher quality track time.

I'd ride for 15 minutes, then rest for 20. ... That sounds more structured than it was. My system was more like "Rest when I'm tired. Ride when I'm not tired." Sort of the strategy Peanut takes. "Where and when does Peanut sleep? Wherever and whenever he's tired." ... Dogs are smarter than they look.

Did I get any faster Monday? Eh, who knows. I had a good time so I don't really care. I'd pay extra for a track day like that again.

4 comments:

Ray and Susan said...

Do they ever let trikes on these race track days?

I would have thought the mix of abilities would lead to some problems...

TJ said...

I've never seen a trike at a track day but I have seen some some cruisers and non-sportbikes.

The abilities of the rider are more of an issue than the abilities of the bike.

Most organizations want a year or more of riding experience before getting on the track.

Unknown said...

I think probably having it on a workday also cut down on the stupid people, as well. Probably only those folks serious about their riding would take a day off to go to the track?

TJ said...

That's definitely possible.

Although the unemployed/slacker/hooligan/student would also be free to torment me on Mondays.